The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Processing of complaints

Do you have a complaint concerning your undergraduate or graduate education?

Check the list of students’ rights and course syllabus

Before you proceed with a complaint, you should find out what rules apply in various situations. Students’ rights and obligations at Lund University are described in the List of students’ rights. For example, the list describes what applies to:

  • The study environment
  • Course syllabi and timetables
  • Exams and assessment
  • Degree projects
  • Course evaluation

Student rights and guidelines –

Another important document that governs education is the relevant course syllabus. You can also get information by contacting the study advisor at your department.

Start by contacting the course or programme director

If you have a complaint concerning your education, start by getting in touch with the relevant lecturer, the course director or to the programme director. In many cases the problem can be solved closest to where it arose.

Continued proceedings

If the matter cannot be resolved by contacting the course/programme director, the complaint will be passed on in the organisation; primarily to the director of studies and thereafter to the head of department. If the matter cannot be resolved at the department level, you can send a written documentation to the vice dean responsible for undergraduate and graduate education. The final instance at Lund University is the vice-chancellor of the university. It is only after contact with the vice-chancellor that the matter can, if necessary, be taken on to UKÄ.

A student complaint that turns into a case are registered at Lund University, thereby becoming an official document.


Please note that the procedure described above does not cover the following:

  • Cases dealing with discrimination, harassment and victimization.
  • Disciplinary matters, that are to be processed by the vice-chancellor/disciplinary board.
  • Changes to grading decisions.
  • Cases that concern Chapter 12 of the Higher Education Ordinance: assessment of qualifications and admission, approved leave from studies, deferred entry, credit transfer of previous studies, requests for exemption from study components and applications for degree certificates. If the decision on such matters goes against the applicant, he or she can apply to the Higher Education Appeals Board. Information on how to do this is to be attached to the decisions.
  • Research misconduct.

Student representative and the student union

About the Student Ombudsman at Lund University –

Report an issue –

LundaEkonomerna student union

Discrimination guide for students

Guide to dealing with discrimination, harassment and victimization: 

Discrimination guide (PDF)