The School of Economics and Management shall by means of research and education contribute to the development and application of knowledge. Through research-based education, we shall prepare students to contribute to resolving global challenges.
Through internationally distinguished research, we shall advance knowledge. Based on innovative thinking, we shall play an active part in developing a sustainable society.
The School of Economics and Management shall be an institution with academic integrity, and scope for critical thinking and questioning established truths. Our deeds should be based on gender equality, striving to attain ethnic and social diversity.
Our School shall be a driving force in society.
The School of Economics and Management shall combine innovative research and close contacts in the business community and the public sector with the academic tradition and diversity within Lund University.
Our vision is to be among the major research driven schools of economics and management in Europe in educating and developing leaders for business and public organisations, with a distinctive competence in innovation and change processes based on cutting-edge research.
Being part of an old and well-established university the core value tends to be shared throughout the organisation. The core values are described in the following manner:
- As a leading, creative and cross-disciplinary institution, Lund University shall represent basic human and academic values. Academic integrity shall be absolute. Research and education shall be intellectually and morally independent of various influences. Honesty shall be the rule throughout.
- Rationality and quality shall permeate our University. Various opinions and discussions shall be encouraged and tolerated. Respect for different viewpoints and objectivity shall direct our activities. Critical and constructive thinking shall be encouraged. We shall develop an innovative, creative university environment, with space for change and employee development. Humour, constructive scepticism and humanism are key concepts.
- Our University shall stand for democratic values and operate in context of equality, as well as ethnic and social diversity. Offensive or discriminating treatment will not be accepted. Respect, tolerance and concern shall govern all our relationships, as well as a mutual acceptance of responsibility and a loyalty to the basic values, assignments and goals of the University.
- The University shall be a driving force in society, cooperating with the international university community, as well as participating in research and education in global questions of decisive import to the future of mankind. Higher education and research contribute to democracy, a sustainable development and liberation from oppression. Our University shall stand for goals and visions that inspire hope!
In addition to the above, the School of Economics and Management has some additional thoughts on important basic values within the School, especially in relation to the students of the School:
- The integrity of the individual should be upheld and our work in relation to the students should be based on gender equality and an aspiration for ethnic and social diversity. Students at the School have influence over their studies and share the responsibility for the development of the school. Our students will be prepared for continuous personal development through student centred learning. We believe in setting demands for a certain study pace and certain results as a way of showing respect to our students.
- The School of Economics and Management strives to be the employer of choice, and in relation to our staff we aim to stand for clear responsibilities, active career planning and fair remuneration.